The cemetery is located at 620 State Street, Knoxvillle, Tennessee 37902. This historic site contains the graves of William and Mary Blount, for whom our Chapter is named. Mary Grainger Blount was the daughter of Caleb Grainger of Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina. Mary was the wife of William Blount, who was appointed Governor of the area now known as Tennessee by President Washington in 1790 after his service in the army in 1776. They were married February 12, 1778. Their children were Anne, Mary Louisa, William Grainger, Richard Blackledge, Barbara, and Eliza Blount.
Although there are many portraits of William Blount, the curator of the Blount Mansion in Knoxville stated that that his research indicates there is no known portrait of Mary Blount. The Blount Mansion was their residence at the time of her husband’s death, and is located just three blocks from the First Presbyterian Church Cemetery where they are interred.