General William Lenoir Chapter
The General William Lenoir Chapter was organized October 15, 1925, in Lenoir City, Tennessee. The chapter was named in honor of General William Lenoir, a Revolutionary War soldier of North Carolina. The chapter was organized with twenty-one members, six of those being descendants of General Lenoir.
In 1795, Major William Ballard Lenoir, son of General William Lenoir, came to Tennessee and purchased land near the place where the Little Tennessee River flowed into the Tennessee River, then known as the Holston River. It was not until 1810, however, that Major Lenoir returned to his property with his wife and five children. Seven more children were born after they had settled in the area of the present day Lenoir City, Tennessee.
Following the organization of the General William Lenoir Chapter in 1925, Mrs. W. N. Lacy was elected the first regent. Her ancestors were James Hodge, William Foster, Captain James Gilmore, Allen Leeper, and James Leeper. Mrs. N. W. Williams was vice regent and her ancestors were Waightstill Avery and General William Lenoir. Other officers were Mrs. J. T. Leeper, recording secretary; Mrs. E. R. Calloway, corresponding secretary; Mrs. J. R. Jump, registrar; and Mrs. Lennie Lacy Moore, treasurer.
Celebration of the 83rd Anniversary of the General William Lenoir Chapter