Davies Manor, believed to be the oldest house in Shelby County, dates to 1807. Joel Royster from Virginia purchased the property and original house in the late 1830s and converted the dwelling from the original one-room log structure to a four-room dogtrot. In 1851 Logan Early Davies and James Baxter Davies bought the house and land from Joel Royster. It was named for Zachariah Davies, soldier of the American Revolution. During the Civil War, it was in the path of both armies and in 1863 it was the scene of a dramatic episode between Frances Anna Vaughn Davies and a Union officer. Mrs. Ellen Davies Rodgers formed the Davies Manor Association, consisting of devoted friends who were charged with the responsibility to maintain and protect this historic property. Knowing her wishes would be honored, she deeded Davies Manor to the Association on December 30, 1976. Mrs. Rodgers continued overseeing the Davies Manor Association until her death in 1994. Davies Manor is now open to the public with the Chapter members volunteering as docents. Davies Manor serves as headquarters of the Zachariah Davies Chapter, NSDAR, organized October 23, 1945; the Old Stage Road Society, National Society, NSC.A.R., organized November 18, 1946; and the Shelby Chapter, NSSAR, organized April 7, 1960.
hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR,
the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
Last Updated: January 27, 2007