Blount Mansion was constructed between 1792 and 1830, with the earliest part of the building serving as the home and office of William Blount, the Governor of the Southwest Territory. Prior to that time, Rocky Mount was the capital of the territory.
Over the next hundred years, the mansion was home to several prominent Knoxvillians, but by 1925, it was marked for demolition. Realizing its historical significance, the Bonny Kate Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, led by Regent Mary Boyce Temple, purchased an option on the Mansion and quickly established the Blount Mansion Association to preserve the property. Through their continued financial support, the Tennessee Society Daughters are still aiding in the historical preservation of this national treasure which was saved so long ago from destruction.
Blount Mansion, which was designated as Knoxville’s only National Historic Landmark by the National Park service in 1965, has become the oldest museum in Knox County, Tennessee.
A primary goal of Blount Mansion is providing greater education to the public of the important role Governor William Blount played in the history of the United States as well as Tennessee.
President George Washington appointed William Blount to be Governor of the Territory of the United States South of the River Ohio. He governed from North Carolina until he concluded the Treaty of the Holston. Then he announced that his capital would move to Knoxville, a city that did not yet exist and construction began on Blount Mansion in 1792.
Blount’s Knoxville mansion would serve as the territorial capitol building as well as a family home. The care in construction and the size and shape of Blount Mansion reflects Blount’s position as a political figure, head of a prominent family, and influential businessman.
For information about Blount Mansion, contact email@example.com.