General William Lee Davidson Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
Patriotism, and Education"
General William Lee Davidson was born in Pennsylvania in 1748, a son of George and Margaret Davidson. When he was a small boy, his parents moved to Rowan County, North Carolina, where he received his schooling. He was married to Mary Brevard on December 10, 1767.
His military career began in 1775 with Washington’s army, commanding and recruiting men. His gallantry in action elevated him to the rank of Brigadier General. He was in the battles of Brandywine, Germantown, Mammouth and Ramsour’s Mill. He was with General Washington the hard winter at Valley Forge. In a battle with Cornwallis’ army at Cowans Ford in 1781, he was mortally wounded. Major William Polk and Major David Wilson of Mecklenburg recovered his body and bore it at night to the churchyard of Hopewell Presbyterian Church where it yet lies.
In 1783, his family moved to the lands allocated to him, 5,760 acres, which is now Davidson County, Tennessee. The family burying ground is located on Windrow Drive in West Meade.
Battle at Cowans Ford
Davidson County, in both North Carolina and Tennessee were named for General Davidson as well as Davidson College. His wallet was stolen by Cornwallis during the fatal battle. The wallet and paper contents reside in a British museum to this day, having been donated by descendants of Cornwallis.
The General William Lee Davidson Chapter was organized at a meeting on November, 1948 at the home of Mrs. Joe McHenry in Edenwold, Tennessee. The first meeting in Nashville was December 9, 1948 at the home of the organizing regent, Mrs. Earl Wylie, on Central Avenue.